< HOME  Monday, July 31, 2006

Two Faces of Society

The war is over for me now
My task at last is through.
But Mom and Dad there’s something
That I must ask of you.
I have a friend, oh, such a friend
He has no home you see.
So Mom and Dad I ask of you
Can I bring him home with me?

My son of course, we don’t mind
If you bring someone home with you.
I’m sure that he could stay with us
Maybe a day or two.

But Mom and Dad, you don’t understand,
What I’m trying to say.
I want him here to live with us
For as long as he may stay.
Yet Mom and Dad I must tell you now,
And please don’t be alarmed,
My friend, you see, while in battle
Just happened to lose an arm.

My son don’t be ashamed of that,
Just bring him home with you.
I’m sure that he could stay with us
And visit a day or two.

But Mom and Dad he’s not only a friend,
He’s like a brother of me.
That’s why I want him to live with us
And be your son like me.
Yet Mom and Dad I must tell you now,
And please don’t be dismayed.
My friend, you see, while in battle,
Just happened to lose his leg.
Dear son, it hurts us to say this to you
But our answer would be no.
For Father and I would have no time
To care for a cripple so.

Some weeks later a telegram arrived
Informing them their son had died.
The cause of death was one brief word,
It only read “Suicide”.
Some time later when the casket arrived,
All draped with our nations flag,
They saw their son lying there
Without an arm and leg.

AUTHOR UNKNOWN
Amazing poem.

____________
Thanks, Mercy.

2 Comments:

At Monday, February 18, 2008, Blogger dedeurs said...

Walt Whitman, eat your heart out.

 
At Tuesday, February 19, 2008, Blogger qrswave said...

yes, I liked it too.

thanks, for your comment.

come join us at the new site - wakeupfromyourslumber.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home